Monday, August 25, 2014

Week 11: Spam, Spam, Spam, and a Transfer

안녕하세요!  (apparently I've been spelling "hello" wrong in korean this entire time)

ANNOUNCEMENT: So, we had transfer calls this week and I was expecting to stay in Suji with Sister Berry but I'm getting transfered to a new area! By next Monday I'll be in a completely different area with a different companion and I can tell you all about it next week :)

Funny story: On Tuesday night we meet with the ward mission leader to make sure we're all on the same page. We found out from the ward roster that his birthday was coming up soon so our district decided to make a card and get him a huge cake for his birthday to bring to this meeting on Tuesday. Before the meeting we came up with an extravagant plan that involved me and Sister Berry pretending to get a call and going out of the room, grabbing the cake and the card and then coming in and singing to him when he would least expect it. 

So, at the end of the meeting we "received a call" and left to get the cake. The plan was going well until we started singing to him and gave him the cake. With a confused look he said "Um, it's not my birthday..." We stopped singing and set the cake down.

Apparently the birthday confusion had something to do with the Lunar Calender and how the birthday dates are accounted different sometimes. Needless to say we were all embarrased and it was really awkward having to pack the cake up in the box again. We gave him the card anyway and told him it was for his future birthday  :)

Ahhh, I'm still laughing about that.

Go to my Suji Ward photos page to see pictures of our Spam incident. A member gave us a HUGE thing of 
luncheon meat. None of us knew how to open that huge thing up and it took almost an hour. Once it was open it smelled....and looked....interesting. We're thinking of giving this mystery meat to the Elders who will be sure to eat it up :)

Also, this weekend was Stake Conference and we had an investigator come which was so wonderful! At the beginning I was struggling to understand what anyone was saying and I tried to stay focused. I soon realized that I didn't need to understand exactly what they were saying to still learn from it. When I made that switch in my head it made such a difference. I could only pick out a few words but with those few words coupled with the way they were saying it I still was able to feel the Spirit and I came away from the meeting edified and uplifted instead of bored or tired.

I think this can happen for anyone and anything. Even if you're in an English speaking meeting it's important to stay focused and try to listen and learn from the Spirit.

Other than this I've been working on packing my things up to go on to new adventures this Wednesday. I've loved serving in Suji and with Sister Berry. I've learned so much from her and no one can take the place of my trainer and first companion in the field. I love her and will miss her!

Until next time!
Sister Holdaway

No comments :

Post a Comment